A Unique Kind of Loyalty

I’ve been thinking about friendship in online gaming.

I have never met most of my online friends in person… and we hardly ever talk about our private lives… yet, I still feel a strong sense of loyalty towards them.

You need me to keep you company while you farm stuff until 3am? Ok.

You need me to do this dungeon for the millionth time so you can get some magic pants? Ok.

I think this loyalty is born out of common struggles and it builds quietly the more you play with people. Since we are on the same game, we face the same challenges. We help each other. We know the time and effort it takes to do certain stuff… So we all know what’s on the line and how much a victory can mean. This, by default, gives us an automatic understanding of each other that would take maybe months to match when meeting someone in real life.

And it’s a very unique kind of loyalty that I haven’t felt elsewhere. Not to say that it’s more or less meaningful than real life loyalty, which is also important to have… but, it’s still a true loyalty nonetheless. I cringe when trying to explain this to non-gamer friends… because saying this out loud, I feel self-conscious knowing it’s one of those things you just have to experience to understand.

I’m glad I know the feeling.

• Reply Sylith242

Going through your old posts I never read ! I totally understand what you mean here.

However, I was kinda disappointed to see that some people you consider friends can leave the game and like forget you.

But all the wonderful moments we share together online is what makes it so special, I happened to met some of the people I used to play with and it was incredible ^^.

January 11, 2017 at 5:08 pm

This can definitely happen. Over time, as life and circumstances change, you may lose track of friends from games. I’ve gone through that, as well, and it’s sad. But, at least we have the memories! 😀

January 14, 2017 at 4:10 pm
  • Reply riteasrain

I don’t play online but I have this experience with people on YouTube, yarning in the comments about in-game stuff. Even in the shop yesterday when I bought my new headset (yes, woohoo!) we chatted about FarCry 4. Well I’m 66 in a week and I always get a shocked look then big grins and then chatting about games & hardware stuff with the young sales guys. It’s kind of nice… you walk back in and you’ll see them again and have another chat. Maybe mmorpg is for me…one day 😀

April 18, 2017 at 8:55 pm

haha! That is awesome. 😀 And it’s great that you’ve kept up to date with tech. I think it can make life a lot more fun if it doesn’t intimidate you. MMORPGS can be so cool! I’m afraid to try to convince you to give them a chance because they can be addictive…. hahaha! But, maybe a free trial? hehehe! 😀

April 19, 2017 at 2:54 pm

And I’ll go ahead and wish you a happy birthday, in case I don’t get to say it on the official date! 😀

April 19, 2017 at 2:55 pm
      • Reply riteasrain

Aw thanks, Malu 😊 And I just might try that free trial if I figure out where to begin. You’re right, I do so love tech and like you I’m addicted to office supplies – bought some more yesterday … sigh 😀 Ah well, have to continue those good habits into retirement heheh!

April 19, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Hahaha! That’s a promise. Office supplies and tech forever!!!!!

April 19, 2017 at 8:53 pm