Malukah's Christmas Concert

Sunday Recap – December 4th, 2016

This is a bit of a multitasking Sunday Recap. I’m currently sitting on the dining room table, drinking spearmint tea, keeping my eye on Thor to make sure he doesn’t try to wiggle out of his cone of shame to scratch his face (he had some skin issues due to humidity and now he’s healing, but keeps scratching and reopening the wound), while at the same time, I have two pans of vegetables steaming on the stove, so I’m keeping track of a timer to remember to stir them every so often.

This was a good week.

Wait. Stirring time.

Ok, back.

I found myself cheating on my goals this week, keeping just a quick list of things I wanted to remember, instead of journaling in detail about them each day. I need to not take shortcuts. Not when it comes to reflection. While it’s nice to have the list, it’s better to have the emotional responses, too.

Monday

Monday was exciting because I bought a new guitar. It’s a Variax Standard made by Line 6. I’ve had an older model of this guitar for many years, and I love it because it has all sorts of different modeled guitar sounds you can activate with the flick of a switch. You can also magically change the tuning! It doesn’t actually alter the physical tuning, it just modifies it digitally. Here’s a demo video of the Variax:

A couple of days later, I got an email from Sweetwater (the company where I placed the order) with shipping confirmation and several pictures of the actual guitar I bought. I love that Sweetwater does this. Makes me even more impatient for it to arrive, seeing the pictures and knowing that it’s MIIIINE. It will hopefully be here by the end of next week. Here are the pics!

Malukah Variax 1 malukahvariax2 malukahvariax3

Tuesday

On Tuesday, I played Skyrim on Twitch and it was hilarious! We got to try out the new emotes that artist Melissa Kelt made for the channel. She is incredible! She made an F5 button (so that the chat can remind me to save), a Reverb knob (to represent the Reverb Empire), and a Torch (to be used in situations of danger and/or as a “lighter” when I sing).

Malukah Twitch Icons by Melissa KeltHaha! I have to say, they make streaming even more fun. The torch was incredibly appropriate when I battled a frost troll. 😀

Wednesday

I spent some time learning a few songs requested by Twitch subscribers. It was lovely! I also discovered that the MIDI interface I use, which I had thought was dying, was really not. It was just a bad USB cable!

For some reason, it did not cross my mind AT ALL to test a different cable when I started noticing issues with this interface a couple of weeks ago. It worked intermittently… I just assumed it’s days were over and completely skipped this Step #2 of troubleshooting. (Step #1 is turning on/off, haha).

Thursday

I sadly don’t remember much of Thursday… Bad, Malu.

Friday

I sang the sub requested songs on Twitch! It was great! Here’s a link to the stream if you missed it. Thor also made an appearance during the stream with his cone of shame. My poor boy. He’s a lamp.

Thor Cone of Shame

Saturday

Saturday was a very social day. Hehe. I’m normally a hermit, but we attended a wedding and a Christmas party. Also, in the morning, I went to a brief conference about healthy eating, given by the nutritionist that has been helping me improve my habits. She and her colleagues spoke about different strategies to make better decisions during holiday events in order to stay healthy and not find yourself back in square one in January.

I’m really determined to do my best to avoid that. I’ve been feeling so well! And Thor is happy that I eat apples and peanut butter way more often than before, because we can share. hahaha!

Sunday

And here we are on Sunday. I am done cooking, so I’m hoping I can play some Doom now. I still haven’t finished the game! Streaming has been distracting me, I’m afraid.

Oooooh, and I announced this!

Malukahs Christmas Concert

Two concerts, in different schedules so that hopefully more of you guys can join me!

More about this in the next couple of days.

Thanks for reading!

Love,

• Reply Connor Cadellin McKee

I’m still playing through doom myself, just finished the destroyed facility level.

December 5, 2016 at 7:10 am

That’s awesome! 😀

December 14, 2016 at 2:18 am
  • Reply Vul Dovah

Awesome guitar! You really inspire me to start practicing my guitar. And I will do everything I can to go on those concerts! I just have to. I have some troubles with internet but I really hope to get it in time for concerts. Hope Thor will get better soon. Stay safe and have a nice week!

December 5, 2016 at 7:50 am

That’s great, Vul Dovah! I’m so happy it inspires you to practice guitar! 😀 I hope you are able to join us for the concerts! Hope you are having a good week, too!

December 14, 2016 at 2:19 am
  • Reply tm599

Wow that’s a sweet guitar, can’t wait to hear it! Does it come with a distortion pedal?
    Careful with those social activities Malu, you might lose your Hermit License 😀
    As funny as he is as a lamp, I hope Thor gets better soon.
    As always, great streams, really enjoy them, and looking forward to the Xmas Concert!

Tommy

December 5, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Hahaha! My precious Hermit License. I must not lose this license! hahahaha! 😀 The guitar arrived a few days ago and it’s great! It didn’t come with a pedal, but I think it might work with an old pedal I have somewhere! Thor is doing a lot better! Thank you so much for reading and for writing!

December 14, 2016 at 2:20 am
  • Reply Fifmut

Poor Thor. I remember when my Dachshund had to wear a cone. Whenever the cone bumped into something she froze on the spot. She was so confused by it, she would just stand there sometimes for full 5-10 minutes without moving if I didn’t help her 😀

December 5, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Oooh, poor girl! Thor has difficulty understanding the size of the cone. He doesn’t understand he no longer can fit between the chairs to go underneath the table. hehe! He’s finally off the cone today. I’m hoping he won’t scratch anymore!

December 14, 2016 at 2:16 am
  • Reply Steve (thesawolf)

“Thursday – Had an out-of-body-experience when I visited a mini slice of office supply heaven, hence the reason I forgot to write it down in my journal…”

(hehe) Looks like a rather productive week! 🙂 Grats on the new guitar! Looks sweet. Can’t wait to hear you play around with it on one of the streams hopefully. Hope Thor gets better and can get out of his cone of shame soon. Poor little guy. I tried on a dog cone once (large sized one for when I had an Akita) and, boy, everything was coming in loudly.

I saw you exported one of your twitch streams to your “Malukah Without Reverb” Youtube channel (for those of you that haven’t visited: http://www.youtube.com/malufenix2 ) Yay! Now some of them can be saved for posterity. Don’t forget you can make highlight clips from your streams and export those smaller, more focused bits to Youtube too if exporting an entire stream becomes tediously long.

Have a great week. Hopefully can catch a stream this week if you do any 🙂
    ?

December 5, 2016 at 9:17 pm

hahaha! Oh, you are right! THAT’s what I did on Thursday! hahahaha! 😀 I’m happy to report that Thor is doing better! 😀

And yes! I exported the ESO clip. I’m still trying to figure out if I want to export EVERYTHING or just certain clips or highlights. But, it’s definitely something on my mind! Exporting is not tedious at all, since it’s an automatic function. Twitch takes care of it. 😀

Hope you’re having a great week, too, Thesawolf!

December 14, 2016 at 2:15 am
  • Reply VoradorPT

Tea is great, I love tea… I almost cursed it this Friday! I got in to watch you stream right away, said Hello, saw that you were getting everything ready, decided that it would be good to have some tea while listening to you, and went to the kitchen to make it!

So I temporarily left to make it and you noticed I was in the chat and said you were going to sing Mad World! I, at that moment, was probably heating water, looking for some tea, making some tea, calmly walking back to the desktop, thinking things were still being set up… *maluPanic* ALMOST MISSING THE SONG I REQUESTED! *maluPanic* But thankfully I got here just in time as you were saying that you were going to start with Mad World!! Yay! That was close…. Ufff…..

By the way, your perfomance on that was great! Thank you so much for singing it. Like someone else was saying in the chat, I want that recorded so I can listen to it 24/7! Not that it was unexpected! You make everything sound soooo good! Thank you for sharing such a beautiful voice with us!

That guitar looks awesome! I hope it plays as awesomely! I never knew about Variax and modeling guitars in general until you showed up with yours… always learning something…

Thorlamp is very sad/cute/funny. He deserves all the treats you can give him while he’s in such an ungraceful state! Poor puppy!

And I’m super excited for your Christmas concert! I’ll try to make it for both, but if not, I’ll definitely be there for the 21st!

December 5, 2016 at 11:44 pm

Hahahaha! It’s so funny how you aaaaalmost missed it! ;D But, I’m glad you got to hear it. 😀 The guitar is here! It got here a few days ago and it’s looovely! Can’t wait to show you guys on stream. Hope to see you there on the 21st! Thanks for reading and writing! 😀 (and I agree, Thorlamp was indeed sad/cute/funny… I finally took the cone off today. Hopefully he won’t scratch anymore!)

December 14, 2016 at 2:13 am
  • Reply Cappy (DarkLordDashie)

Sounds like a very busy week! More than mine at the very least.

I should also say that you really should make it priority to journal about things you want to do rather than slack off and make a quick list. If you make it a habit and something that’s like a snap of the finger to your brain, it really gets you in the habit of being less of a procrastinator in general.

Back when I was about in middle school I believe, I was still quite a heavy procrastinator then. But I eventually started basically making myself study even more by taking more extensive notes in class and at home, and doing my homework as soon as I could. I found that it really helped me, and I became at least somewhat less of a procrastinator. It became so much of a habit that it pokes at my mind until I got it done. And now pretty much anything that I need to get done on priority will basically just poke at my brain until I get it done, which makes me do it ASAP and get it out of the way. Not saying i’m completely not a procrastinator anymore or that I became an A+ student, but i’ve definitely improved and have become less lazy over the years. Hahaha.

I too have also been working on my eating habits as of late. Really cutting back and limiting myself on what I can eat calorie wise each and every day. Which has been absolutely fantastic. Though not gonna lie, I totally go beyond my calorie limit a few times a month. Hasn’t thrown me off though, but I think it personally helps me keep on track having a ‘cheat’ day every now and again.

Very excited for your Christmas concert too! Absolutely can’t wait. 😀

Have a good week, Malu!

December 6, 2016 at 10:31 am

It’s so inspiring to read that you were able to get into the habit of just jumping in and getting things done. That is so awesome, Dark Lord Dashieeee! I hope to follow in your footsteps! I must snap my fingers to wake myself up and get to work!

And GREAT to hear that you’ve been working on your eating habits, too. And I think it’s totally ok to have cheat days or treats every now and then… As long as we stay well aware of the things we do, we can always go back to the healthy path. hehehe! 😀

I’m so happy you’re excited about the Christmas concert! Hope to see you there! 😀

December 14, 2016 at 2:09 am
  • Reply Asilbek

Hi Malukah! I wish a Thor of the speedy recovery. Also I am glad that you have begun healthy eating. I congratulate you on purchase of a new guitar and I will wait for new songs with participation of this guitar :-). I adore your songs and with pleasure I read and I watch your blogs. I look forward your new songs and Sunday Recap. Thanks for all fine that you have presented to me.

December 6, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Thank you, Asilbek! I look forward to sharing new music and more about this guitar, too! Thanks again for reading!!!

December 14, 2016 at 2:07 am
  • Reply Zanktom

Hey Malu, it seems you had a great week :). Mine wasn’t as great as thine but was quite good, even if i couldn’t do some things that i wanted to do. I just started to play the piano again and tried to play An End, Once And for All from the ME3 OST (that i rewrited and arranged :)) , but when u have the flu, it’s really hard ^^. Even if the flu doesn’t bother me, i had a sleepless night between yesterday and today, and it just reminds me a quote from Maxine Caulfield of the game Life Is Strange when u see a poster in the episode 1: The last time a got a flu shot, i got the flu. F*** you ! ^^

December 6, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Haha! Oh, nooooo! Zanktom! I hope you are feeling better by now! Being sick, whether it’s the flu or even just a cold, is so distracting. I have a hard time not constantly thinking, “uuuuughhhh I want to sleeep.” haha! 😀 I hope you’re back to being healthy and hope you continue playing piano!

December 14, 2016 at 2:06 am
      • Reply Zanktom

Hehe, don’t worry, now i’m fine (but i thinked, 3 days ago, that the flu would never leave me :s). By the way, i can almost play [hurra for the perfect pitch !!! ^^] the music “Shadows” that u did for the game “Monaco” (i think it’s this game but i’m not sure at all), and i can assure you that the first note of the music is a D. ^^ (and don’t even try to ask me what is the note at a specific time of the music cause i’m sure that i can tell you XD).
        The only thing i need now is to buy a sustain pedal, cause without the auto sustain on my synth (my poor YAMAHA DGX-305 that i have since 2006 ^^), the music doesn’t look like anything ^^ (or almost …).

December 14, 2016 at 12:47 pm

It’s so cool you like this song!!!!! It was fun to record that for sure! And yes, having a sustain pedal can be super helpful! I hope you are able to get one soon! 😀

December 26, 2016 at 3:43 pm
  • Reply Thijs

Thor looks cute even in the Cone of Shame, haha. But I hope the wounds’ll recovere quickly. That guitar looks sweet! Can’t wait to hear you in action with it.
    Good luck with the healthy food thing. The end of the year always makes me guilty of what I haven’t done this year. hehe. (next year I’ll work out more for real though.)

December 15, 2016 at 10:59 pm

We have the same goal for 2017 (in parenthesis). For real, though. Hahahahahaha! Just how I feel.

December 26, 2016 at 3:38 pm
      • Reply Thijs

Maybe I should keep up a weekly blog too. Confessing how you haven’t done things this week (and the feedback) are bound to get you more into it, right?

December 28, 2016 at 8:27 am

It absolutely helps. Just in general, it keeps you thinking back to the fact that you’re going to have to write the summary… and that can help motivate action! 😀

December 30, 2016 at 8:13 am