Malukah Sinking Ships

A Giant Leap for Malukind

This year has been full of great lessons. I’ve taken risks that have shown me that it’s possible to overcome fears that I once thought were permanent.

I’ve been posting videos on YouTube for the last 7 years. One thing I managed to shy away from was hiring a professional videographer.

Until now.

A combination of things led me here.

First, I was tired of always filming the same type of video. Front view, facing the camera, multiple windows. I wanted to try something different, but I didn’t have the video skills to venture any further.

Second, I was miserable while editing The Bard’s Song video. I ran into a bunch of technical difficulties and was so stressed through it all.

As I rendered the final version, I thought, “I’m done. I need to hire someone. I don’t care if it’s uncomfortable to have a stranger film me. I need help”

Once the audio for Sinking Ships was done the following month, I tried to backtrack, still overly self-conscious.

I could do this myself. I just needed to think outside the box.

Maloofus

Yes, yes. I can do everything myself perfectly.

So, I tried.

My revolutionary “this-is-a-new-chapter-of-my-life” idea was to film from a tiny bit to the side instead of front. And… gasp: I wouldn’t be looking at the camera.

Wild, right? Here’s the test I did.

Sinking Ships Malukah Test

It’s not terrible, but it doesn’t match for the song. After filming the video, I realized it was more of the same.

Luckily, a friend of my mom’s had highly recommended someone she knew. Nervous, I made the call.

I’m so, soooo happy I did.

I met with Cristina from 24milímetros and shared the song and my video idea.

We filmed this first.

Malukah Sinking Ships

After watching Cristina work so deftly, I let go of my control freakiness and told her to try any ideas she thought would work.

We filmed from a side angle that I thought impossible for myself (I’ve never liked side pics), and she somehow made it look flattering, haunting and perfect for the song.

Sinking Ships Malukah

I’ve also always hated close ups… and check this out… Isn’t it nice?

Malukah Sinking Ships

In the end, it was her video concept we went with. I absolutely love, love how it turned out and can honestly say I enjoyed the experience. Not once did I feel uncomfortable.

It can be scary to give up control, but this opportunity taught me that each of us has our strengths. Mine is music, and now I found a powerhouse of video to complement it. 😀

It’s a breath of fresh air. And a rush of new possibilities for future videos.

I feel very inspired and motivated.

Thank you, Cristina and 24milímetros.

And thank you all for your beautiful comments on YouTube. Thanks for helping me continue to grow as a musician and human being.

Previous Post

• Reply MikelArchangel

Thank you for this wonderful song. I keep playing it over and over. The video IS perfect! I have actually always liked your profiles! I can’t wait to see and hear what you do next.

October 3, 2018 at 5:11 am
  • Reply Petr

Every your video is better and more advanced. I see great potential in you. Do not be afraid to experiment and follow your dreams <3

October 3, 2018 at 5:35 pm
  • Reply donottrace

To be honest I didn’t like much the new video style – it seemed like somebody tried really hard to make something deep, artsy etc., without actually having much of a vision.
    Please don’t take it as an attack, the song itself was your usual awesome, and I don’t have anything against Cristina, it’s just my personal opinion.

October 7, 2018 at 9:49 pm

Of course! And it’s a valid opinion, no worries. I’m happy you liked the song. Thanks for watching and for taking the time to read. <3

October 31, 2018 at 1:14 am
  • Reply Ronnie Shrewsbury

This blog encourages me and I’m sure it will encourage many other people to face their fears. Thank you Malukah

October 11, 2018 at 10:49 am

Thank you so much for reading and for the kind feedback, Ronnie!

October 31, 2018 at 1:13 am
  • Reply Daniel Rioux

Hi Malukah! I just saw your post. I’m a few days late so, I dunno if you will get to read this but, I’m writing it anyway. That was quite an interesting read. I absolutely love your new video. I understand what you mean when you say you were scared because of the angle of the camera and the close-up… but look at the result! You look wonderful. You are a beautiful person Malukah. Never doubt that. What you probably see as imperfections, I see them as characteristics that defines you, that made you who you are, someone who is loved by many people (and Thor ;-)). I think your heart comes out in all your videos. But by bringing the camera that close to you, it brings us even closer to the emotion you are feeling while singing, we can feel it even more it seems. Anyway, I’m sorry, this is getting too long. I just wanted to tell you this! Take care Malukah! Thanks for existing and bringing joy in our life!

Daniel aka Letodan

October 12, 2018 at 6:24 pm

Letodaaaan! Thank you so much for leaving a comment! 😀 It’s so awesome you enjoyed this new video and you’re right… I see this with other people as well, when they mention what they consider their own imperfections and I think, “Nooo, it makes you you!” It was honestly very empowering to just let go and give it a chance. 🙂 Thanks again for reading and say hi to Bella from me!`

October 31, 2018 at 1:13 am