Childhood Books - Malukah

Return of the Book

Childhood Books - MalukahAs a child, I read myself to sleep every night. This habit continued throughout my teenage years and college. It was infuriating to suddenly lose that.

I found myself unable to focus. I had to reread paragraphs over and over because my brain would refuse to process the text. By the next night, I couldn’t remember anything… leaving me stuck perpetually in chapter 1.

At every opportunity, every quiet moment, my mind would kick into high gear. Panicking about all I hadn’t accomplished in my life and questioning my ability to accomplish anything in the future. I eventually gave up trying to read and opted to leave the TV on until it lulled me to sleep. Years went by.

Fast forward to today. My mind and expectations are thankfully in a much calmer state, so I finally started reading books again.

It was a struggle. I could focus, but reading felt slow and insipid. I had difficulty imagining things in my mind, and I wondered if I had a distorted memory of reading… Maybe it’d never been as fun as I remembered?

I stubbornly continued to fight my way through a book… And behoooold… the mental agility (can we call it that?) that you exercise while reading started to return. Pretty soon, within a few weeks, books again became enthralling and fast-paced.

Reading is the most delicious hobby I know. Delicious… haha. I can’t think of a better word. But it creates a great, rich feeling of satisfaction that’s both entertaining and educational.

I wanted to share this in case any of you guys out there miss reading, too. 🙂 Just to let you know getting back into the habit may take a little effort, but it’s worth it!

And to end this, I’ll leave you with a quote from a book I read recently <–wooooo! called Lexicon, by Max Barry. I loved the book. This quote is completely unrelated to the topic of the post… but it’s the kind of sentence that has always inspired me to look for similes and metaphors when writing lyrics.

“If you never smiled or laughed or frowned, she could believe that this was the kind of face you wound up with, smooth and empty as an undisturbed pond.”

Barry, Max (2013-06-18). Lexicon: A Novel (p. 142). Penguin Group US. Kindle Edition.

• Reply Iris

What kind of books do you normally enjoy? Does it have to be a specific genre?
    Still loving your music by the way! Especially Reignite and Frozen Sleep send shivers down my spine – and I have never even played the games before! You probably hear this quite often but your voice and talent is simply AMAZING 🙂 But I’m getting off-topic: How about them books? 😉

February 26, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Thank you so much, Iris!!! 🙂 About books… I find myself mostly reading mystery books, some video game related books, fantasy and sci-fi. At the moment I’m reading Silkwork, by J.K. Rowling (under a pseudonym) and LOVING it! How about you?

February 26, 2016 at 8:56 pm
      • Reply Iris

Awesome! I assume you mean Silkworm by her pseudonym Robert Galbraith? I loved that one as well! Can’t wait for the fourth part to get out. Looks like we have similar tastes in books as my list would have read just like yours. Some of my favorite books are the Song of Ice and Fire series (long before the TV show came out), Harry Potter, Robin Hobb’s Farseer books and her Liveship Traders Trilogy. I also really enjoy Walters Moers and Michael Ende (in original German, not sure how good they are in English). And if you enjoy the Cormoran Strike novels, you might like the Clare Ferguson/Russ van Alstyne series by Julia Spencer Fleming. Not as brilliant as Rowling but I still enjoyed the first novels of the series very much.

February 26, 2016 at 10:35 pm
        • Reply Iris

Oh, and the Wool Trilogy by Hugh Howey is fantastic!

February 26, 2016 at 10:47 pm
  • Reply Stephen Buck

hi Malukah …reading was my life as a teenager …it would keep me up all night rather than sleep however, lol …I lost it later much the same as you, and not be able to focus …I’m 40 now, and every once in a while between teenage times and present I’ve been able to get into a book or series …with long pauses between …I labor all day, with extra anxieties I’ve had all my life.. and when I get home have life/ mental worries, and end up going for a game rather than a book before I fall asleep …though video games can be great stress relief, especially the open sand boxers and rpgs (for me at least), I truly miss loosing myself to a good book …thank you for sharing this.. given me some resolve to get back into an occasional book and/or series …might dust off a lifetime favorite to begin with …the saga that is “Dragonlance” ….strongly reccomended by this lost one …should you ever be curious, the “Chronicles” are where the journey begins

March 12, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Hey Stephen! Thank you for recommending Dragonlance. I’ll be sure to check it out! Hope you’re able to make your way back to reading. Games are also a great as a way to wind down at the end of the day. Sometimes when the mind is racing, it’s better to simply play something fun and not try to force it to slow down with a book. I mean, books work our minds, of course, but I hope you know what I mean. Good luck!!!

March 12, 2016 at 5:58 pm
  • Reply Sylith242

Short advice on this subject: read The Farseer Trilogy if you can.

I loved these books so much ! Everything is in it and if you like fantasy you should definitely give it a try !

January 11, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Thanks for the recommendation! 😀

January 14, 2017 at 4:40 pm
      • Reply Sylith242

Your welcome ! I do recommend you to give it a try and if you do let us know what did you think of it !!

January 14, 2017 at 4:46 pm